Swing Bed is a program designed to provide additional inpatient care to those needing extra time to heal or strengthen before returning home.
Our Swing Bed nursing and rehabilitative team is committed to helping help you transition from hospital care to home. Patients’ needs during recovery are unique, so this care is tailored to evaluate and meet your personal needs.
Candidates for Swing Bed are:
- Patients with recent joint replacements or hip pinning who need daily physical therapy
- Stroke patients who could improve their level of capability and function with continued daily therapy
- Cardiac patients recovering from a heart attack or acute episode of congestive heart failure
- Patients with long-term illnesses or diseases who need strengthening or nutritional therapy
- Patients recovering from major surgery or accident
- Patients with wounds that are not healing and need special care
Our program is designed to help you
safely care for yourself at home.
Rehabilitation services are a main focus of the Swing Bed Program. You will receive an evaluation by a Physical Therapist, Occupational Therapist, and Speech Therapist as needed. The therapists will develop an individualized plan of care to address your specific needs.
During your stay you will continue to participate in therapy in order to achieve your goals. Functional goals may include achievement of the following:
- Increasing Strength
- Improving Balance
- Improving Coordination
- Transferring Safely to and from the car, toilet, bath, etc.
- Performing activities of daily living such as bathing, cooking, and dressing
You will have a private room, with 24-hour access to nursing care. You are encouraged to wear your own clothing and bring items from home to make your stay more comfortable. Our nursing team members will assist you as you progress along your path to recovery. In addition to guidance with your daily care needs, our skilled nursing services include the following:
- IV antibiotics
- Tube feedings and nutritional stabilization
- Application of dressings
- Instructions and care of wounds and ulcers
- Medication administration and instruction
- Patient education for insulin administration, testing blood sugars and diet management
- Instructions in ostomy or stoma care
We strive to provide fun and enjoyable pastimes during your stay in our Swing Bed Program. At the beginning of your stay in the Swing Bed program the Occupational Therapy department asks you about your interests and hobbies and creates a plan based on your preferences.
Individual Activities are offered daily. A wide variety of activity items are available.
- Board Games, Cards, and Puzzles
- Word Searches, Crossword Puzzles, Suduko
- Needlework and Crafting Supplies
- Painting, and Drawing Supplies
- Movies, Novels, and Magazines
- Radio, Books on Tape
Group Activities are offered twice weekly in a gathering area to provide interaction and entertainment. A monthly calendar lists upcoming group activities, such as:
- Holiday Themes
- Current Events
The nursing and therapy department work together to communicate and find items that will help you feel a little more at home.
Please contact us with any questions about the
Swing Bed Program.
Community Memorial Hospital